Fw: Tire chewer

To: "Jorge Lozano" <jmlozano@ismi.net>
Subject: Fw: Tire chewer
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:04:45 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <6pack@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Jorge Lozano"
>I sent my excellent mechanic Mark (Tim Holbrook's little brother) in my
garage to look around the TR6 and take measure the ride height.  I am doing
this because of my recent problem with my tire rubbing on the driver side
after having the GoodParts springs installed.  I am running 215/55/16 on
16x7 Panasport's.  This is what he came up with.

                                                             DRIVER SIDE
PASSENGER
Chassis (Near door hinge) to ground                4 3/8
4 1/2
Rear pivot point on lower A-Arm                      4 3/8
4 1/2
Chassis (After the door) to ground                   4 5/8
4 3/4
Top of rocker panel (Front) to ground             8 28/32
9 1/8
Top of rocker panel (Rear) to ground               9 2/8
9 1/8
Rear bumper over-rider                                  16 1/8
17
Front bumper over-rider                                 13 3/4
14 1/4

I have no idea what is going on?  Can any of you experts shine light on my
problem?  Please help this TR drive again!

Jorge Lozano

PS It is eating the front driver side tire

<

Jorge,

Try taking loose the sway bar and repeat a couple of measurements.  If the
difference is less then the sway bar is bent.  If the difference is more or
unchanged check the bushings (That is assuming the springs are perfectly
equal right to left, and we know the meaning of assume)

The fact that the differences from right to left are the same (where it
counts) suggests that the frame is not bent, although the bumper mounts
very well may be.  It could be that the bushings are deforming on one side
more than the other or the sway bar is bent causing the lean or that the
springs are not equal right to left (nah, couldn't be)

Dave

P.S. 215-16 tires is pushing it and it could be that the sheet metal is not
correct due to a minor shunt somewhere in the past.