Re: 76 TR6 handbrake

To: linda long <lalong@vt.edu>, TR6 List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 76 TR6 handbrake
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:16:22 -0400
Tom,
        Thanks for your reply. I have two spare handbrake assemblies. One I
bought new from TRF and the other used from a garage in Savannah. Both
are the same, and differ from my 75 handbrakes in that they have an
indent for the warning light switch, have built-in metal bushes rather
than nylon for the fulcrum bolt and they have grips that are almost 2"
in diameter at the largest point. The grips on my 75's appear as the TRF
drawing on page 256 and are approx. 1" in diameter.
        I made an assumption, perhaps wrongly, that the large grip was
installed on all 76 models. Maybe these are just replacement grips? Page
257 of TRF parts catalogue, item DR2, part # UKC3918 may be the grip on
my handbrake assemblies.
        As you stated, the 1" grip is a tight fit, so I see no way the 2" grip
is going to slip through the opening in the trim piece without removing
some stitches. I think I'll take the whole mess to an upholstery shop
and get some recommendations from them.
Thanks again,
Jim