Re: GT6 gearbox

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 gearbox
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:04:36 -0400
"David A. Templeton" wrote:

> A quick question, what are peoples experiences on the cost of
> rebuilding a GT6 gearbox or any TR one for that matter.

I rebuilt my GT6 box over the winter:

  - new lock rings
  - new thrust washers
  - new layshaft
  - used laygear
  - new reverse idler gear
  - used 1st speed gear
  - used 2nd speed gear
  - new 3rd speed gear
  - new synchro springs
  - new synchro baulk rings
  - new copper washer
  - new thrust washer springs
  - new bearings (3)
  - gasket set
  - bushings (3, instead of needles)
  - nyloc nuts
  - new shifter bushings
  - new oil thrower
  - new seals
  - new throwout bearing
  - new    "       "     sleeve
  - used   "       "     fork ($90!!!)

Total was probably something like $500-550, I guess.

--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.  Larceny, n.  A sturdy fiber
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.      of which the human heart is

Oh, yeah-- 2 qt. Redline MTL, ohmaybe $32.

For disassembly, you'll need a fair-sized hammer, say 24-36 oz., and a
brass (or lead) drift.  Contact me offlist for how to put it together
without all the Churchill tools.