Diamond-in-the-Rough/Waving

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Diamond-in-the-Rough/Waving
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:27:45 EDT
List;

I'm a little tardy chiming in on the "participation/waving" thread but after
yesterday's car show I thought I'd add a little bantor....

Yesterday's all British show was entirely a popular vote event....with the
ever-fun diamond-in-the-rough category.  As usual at larger shows, there were
many beautifully restored TRs, MGs, AH's, etc but there were also quite a few
less-than-restored cars that were not in a diamond-in-the-rough award class.
These cars were really fun to look at and their owners were always very
willing to swap stories and discuss future plans for their cars.

I was very surprised (and delighted) that several of these less-than-perfect
cars received some sort of award....I personally voted for several of these
cars because, while they weren't totally concours perfect, they were the most
visually appealing and had the highest "fun factor" in my mind.

All that said, my Spit which is a nicely preserved car (preserved, not
restored), saw the most serious competiton of its show career!  I don't think
I've ever seen so many early Spits in one spot let alone all of them in
beautiful condition.  Oh well, we didn't bring home an award but what fun it
was looking at correctly aligned sheet metal, period correct badges, matching
numbers, ha! ha!

With regard to waving.....it was one of the first indoctrinations into the
LBC fold that I learned when I first joined the fold back in 1966 with a '58
TR3A.  Waving was something you did to show friendship, kinship, whatever to
your fellow British car owner - didn't matter whether they were driving a
bugeye, midgit, AH3000....you waved - that's it plain & simple!  I know that
my Dad always got a kick out of waving when he borrowed the 3 occasionally -
he couldn't get over the pretty girls waving to him!  Perhaps, many of
today's younger LBC owners haven't been taught the old ways so I guess it's
up to us more senior members to spread the word:)

Cheers,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (basking in the sun!)