Re: TR6 Question

To: Tobermory9@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Question
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 01:23:57 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Paula,

Don't know whether you've received any private responses, but here's a
public one. One of your brake pads is binding against the rotor. When
you step on the brakes, enormous pressure is applied by the hydraulics
to push the pads against the rotor. When you release the brakes, the
only force to push the pads back is the slight wobble of the rotor.
Difference is at least 1000:1, so as the tendency to bind develops,
brakes will tend to stick 'on', generating heat and smoke. I've had this
happen on a '74 Datsun and an '89 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Hopefully, something is binding the pads. like the Datsun. Worst case
($$$) the piston inside the caliper is binding, like the Grand Prix. You
or someone are/is going to have to have a look at the front brakes.

As for the temperature issues, 1) heat make things expand - something
that's free to move when it's cool can bind when it's hot, and 2) your
gauge shows engine coolant temperature. It's probably unrelated to
what's going on at the wheel, and you could have a second problem.

Good luck,
Bill Kelly
'62 Herald
'68 TR250