RE: LBC Question but not Triumph!

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LBC Question but not Triumph!
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 20:09:16 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"

Chip Krout wrote:

>We had a "drophead" Morgan register for the
>British Car Show our TR club sponsored . . .

>my question is: What does "drophead" mean...
>something related to the uniqueness of the
>cylinder head no doubt??

"Drophead" is one of several variants for what we parochial Americans would
doubtless call a "convertible". Specifically, a "drophead" is the opposite
of a "fixed head" vehicle - which (generally) has a fixed, non-convertible,
non-folding, non-retractable, non-removable top.

Then, of course, there's the "cabriolet" . . .

And if anyone knows the precise definitions of these and similar
appellations, perhaps they can explain the difference between a Healey
"Roadster" and a Healey "Convertible" - or is it just the fact that the
"convertible" top cannot be fully retracted?

Jim Hill
Madison WI