Re: Valve Adjustment

Subject: Re: Valve Adjustment
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 07:56:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bob :

If you plan to keep and drive the car, I would suggest that now is as
good a time as any to at least practice checking valve clearances.

Get a set of feeler gauges (available at any tool or auto supply, IMO
cheap ones are fine as long as the set has at least every .001" from
.008" to .025"), then check the clearances without trying to adjust
them.  Write them down the first time, then re-check all of them to see
if you get the same reading.

Valves may get either tighter or looser with age.  Loose is what makes
noise, tight is what ruins valves.  IOW, you can't tell by listening
whether the valve lash is right.

Randall
59 TR3A