RE: TR4A: Dismantling Tranny

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>, David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: TR4A: Dismantling Tranny
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 11:54:19 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Guys,

I sure appreciate your help.  I have removed the layshaft, and the small
circlip and washer from next to the recalcitrant bearing.  The reverse
gears and in the bottom of the box, I can turn the mainshaft and the
reverse gears don't contact the main gears.  I can remove the large outside
circlip and drive the shaft with attached bearing forward, I can also move
the shaft and bearing backwards.  I just can't move the shaft inside the
bearing.

Two other suggestions have been offered:

1) Stand the tranny up in a hydraulic press and press on the end of the
mainshaft (basically a different kind of hammer)
2) Cut the bearing enough to extract the balls, then the mainshaft should
come out of the case.  Then, cut the inner race enough to break it free.
The outer race will come out easily enough.

I'm leaning towards #2, since I own adequate cutting implements.  Although,
#1 is appealing from the potential to justify purchase of a hydraulic press.
I won't do anything before Tuesday, if you all have any other armchair
mechanic suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

At 12:56 PM 05/07/2000 -0400, Tony Rhodes wrote:
>>Anyone got any good ideas about how I can free the inner bearing race from
>>the mainshaft?  I'd appreciate it.
>
>Well, this is another fine mess you got us into!
>
>So, you took off  theirclip  and washer just behind the middle bearing and
whacked the
>mainshaft from the back to drive it forward.  I take it you also tried to
drive it rearward as well.

>The the outer bearing race move when you tried to drive the stuff out the
back?  It ought to
>move up to 1/4" rearward.
>
>Did you remove the layshaft so the laygears drop into the bottom of the
transmission? With
>the laygears engaged with the main gears, you can not move the main much.
>
>When I whacked the mainshaft to drive it forward, I had a helper
stabilizing the transmission,
>and I used a thick wooden block  and a heavy hammer.  It moved pretty
readily.  On
>all TWO transmissions I have stripped.  Sometimes it takes considerable
persuasion
>to get the main moving, but once it starts to move, it goes easily.
>
>As long as there is nothing blocking the movement, then use more
persuasion!!!

>-Tony

Cliff Hansen