Pop threads vs. rivets?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Pop threads vs. rivets?
From: David.Griffiths@veths.no
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:11:15 +0200
>I recently received a J.C. Whitney catalog in the mail and was thumbing
>through it this morning, alternately chuckling and marveling at all the junk
>they have in there.  Something caught my eye though and I was wondering if
>any lister has experience with the tool that allows you to "pop" in a
>thread, as opposed to a rivet.

I've got one of these and they work just fine. No mysteries really, just
like the pictures show. You drill the hole, put the threaded rivet in and
squeeze. Only thing is that the rivets lock by crumpling and if the
crumpling isn't even, the thread might end up skew. But you just stick a
rod down into the hole and lever it straight. Great for sheet metal work
when you need to bolt something onto the sheet eg tail light lens onto
body.

Dave