RE: Latest Hot rover news

To: "'GuyotLeonF@aol.com'" <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Latest Hot rover news
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:01:26 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"

>Snip
Sir Ken Jackson, general secretary of the Amalgamated Engineering and
Electrical Union, said: "We now have a month to save Longbridge. BMW must
pull out all the stops to save the plant and 50,000 jobs that depend on it.
>unsnip

General Comment ( not meant as a wise-ass remark):

Seems to me that the bigger question is " What is the strategy to ensure
market demand for the cars we will produce?"  Once you have answered that
question, all the other stuff will fall into place.  An old professor I had
years ago once said:

" You can invent a better mousetrap, but you better figure out how to sell
'em, otherwise you'll just have a factory filled with unsold, very nice
mousetraps".

A government or private sector bailout will do little to address the Rover
problem unless they
solve the longterm problems  with volume sales.  The apparently make a nice
car, they have a huge workforce, the only thing left is to figure a way to
extract sufficient cash from the drivers of the world to make the whole
thing work.  These folks may feel good about Towers' intentions, but I still
think there is some pain coming....
Bob Westerdale