need help part 2

To: Jonathan Beaudoin <jbdoin@sympatico.ca>
Subject: need help part 2
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:50:34 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Jonathan Beaudoin
>Hello to all!

    Here where I am with the 6 and what I noticed today... I have
rechecked the valve and rotor relation and to find out that # 1 and 6
cyl valve where closed at the same time.. But, one time at TDC I can
insert a feeler gauge between #1 and 2 valve, this happen when rotor at
#6. when I turn the crank until next TDC, the # 11 and 12 valve are free
and rotor is at #1. That make me think that the 6 is 180 deg away from
timing... What to do? I removed the distributor but it only get fully
inserted on one side. i.e. I can't turn it 180 deg and push it down, it
won't go down.. What to do next??

Jonathan

<

Yup, 180 degrees out.  You have to remove the two little bolts and remove
the distributor pedistal.  This holds in the drive gear.  Take a bolt (1/4
or 5/16, I forget which) and thread it into the gear and you can withdraw
it and reinsert it 180 degrees from where it is now.

This gear has helical teeth and will turn as you insert it so you have to
index it so that it is in the right position when it drops down.  Don't be
concerned if it takes several tries.  It always does at first.

Also there are spacers under the pedistal so don't loose them.

Bon chance

Dave