RE: TR-3 steering

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-3 steering
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:37:39 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
scott weldin wrote :

> I'm having the devil's own time removing the center tie-rod
> from my 1958
> TR-3A.  I have removed the nyloc nuts attaching the center
> tie-rod to the
> idler arm, the drop arm and both right and left tie-rods, but
> I can't get
> either right or left tie-rod loose from the center.

Scott :

If you can find one, IMO the 'press-type' tie rod end remover is far
preferable for disassembling the taper ends of the tie rods and silentblocs.
In particular, it's risky using any kind of BFH or impact tool (like a
common 'pickle fork' tie rod end remover) around the steering box.  Also,
the pickle fork tools will frequently pull the center pin out of the
silentbloc, instead of pulling it out of the pitman or idler arm, making an
even bigger mess.

One example of the kind of tool I'm talking about can be seen at
http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe .
Two more are at http://www.skywaytools.com/dyn.exe?doc=tierod1.dht&;

I made my own from a large pipe cap, but was not happy with the result.

Randall
59 TR3A