Re: TR-3A pinion oil seal

To: "Scott Weldin" <sweldin@ups.edu>
Subject: Re: TR-3A pinion oil seal
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:14:50 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

>I assume that the seal has dried out from lack of use. Is there a product
that will soften or
> recondition the seal without replacing it?

I think these are a leather seal so you could just try filling the diff with
oil and rotating the pinion a bit (1/4 turn) every so often for a day or two
to drag the oil up and help refresh it. Alternately, most of the pinion oil
seals on Triumphs that I have encountered (no TR3A experience) have been
easy enough to change with the diff in situe, if your new seal is leather
don't forget to drop it in light (engine) oil the night before you intend to
fit it.

Graham.