Re: gas tank pressure

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: gas tank pressure
From: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:00:56 -0400
Cc: Jay Snavely <jays@paonline.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David:

Actually, you were lucky you caught it in time.  I wasn't so fortunate w/a'74
Spitfire, which I parked in my garage on a near-empty tank one hot summer day.
When the temperature dropped that night significantly, the plugged vent tubing
caused the gas tank to implode, and it crunched up like a milk carton, with the
fuel intake tube punching a hole in the bottom of the tank. The excessive fumes
in the tank condensing w/the temperature drop, as it were.  I not only had to
find a new tank, but it took me days of head-scratching and the full collective
wisdom of this list to determine that the well-sealed tank had sucked itself to
death during the night!

--
Martin Secrest
GT6, TR6