Re: I have a small bone to chew with the list

To: <Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I have a small bone to chew with the list
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:34:03 -0500
You are right, the imbalance (for that is what I assume it is) may have been
there before and may have been exacerbated by the increased driveshaft
speed. The fact that you found the UJs to be out of phase by one spline is
significant - it means that the driveshaft was split at some point and may
have been put back together not just one spline out of phase but also 180
degrees out of phase.  You could try splitting it again and turning the two
halves 180 degrees relative to each other.  Failing that, I suggest taking
the driveshaft to a shop and having them balance the shaft for the correct
rpm at your high cruising speed.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of parallelism of the diff flange and the OD
flange - the UJs are generally designed to accomodate up to 15 degrees of
misalignment.  You appear to be well within that range.

Now, spit out that bone!