Towing Questions - LBC Related!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Towing Questions - LBC Related!
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:15:05 EDT
List,

I'd like to tow the Spit to the Richmond show this July...certainly not
because it's a trailer queen...ha, ha....more so it's in one piece when I get
there to use for the four days!

Since I've never towed anything heavier/larger than a log splitter from my
truck (using a ball mounted to the bumper), I have some questions and
concerns.  The tow vehicle is a 1994 Chevy S-10 PU with 4.3L V6 and 5 speed.
My reference literature and the dealer say that I can tow 3500 pounds.  Given
that the Spit probably weighs in at about 1700 pounds, is it reasonable to
expect the trailer to weigh less than 1800 pounds?  What's the difference
between the various classes of hitches...Class 3, 4, etc and which would I
need?  Do these trailers use brakes of some sort?  How do the brakes connect
to my truck's system?  Has anyone towed a Spit or equivalent weight LBC with
a compact truck like my Chevy....any tips, suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm going to ask the trailer rental people the same questions but wanted to
get first hand advice from most humble listers.  I also thought that a good
idea might be to rent the trailer for a day or two beforehand to get the feel
of towing the little car before the big trip.

TIA,

Chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (ready for summer)