Re: *!#% Rear Studs.

To: Keith McGahan <keithmcgahan@hotmail.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: *!#% Rear Studs.
From: Greg Gelhar <ggelhar@integrityonline31.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:00:57 -0600

Keith McGahan wrote:

> How to I get these things off? I spend all day Sunday try to get the rear
> studs off and got nothing to show for it but a bloody finger. Is there a
> special Tool? Thanks
>
> Keith
> TR4

  Hi Keith,

Here is the method I use to remove the rear studs from solid axle TR's. After
removing the brake drums and shoe sets take a die grinder (or Dremel) and
grind the back of the studs flush with the hubs. Using two regular 7/16-20
nuts (get extras, these will take a beating) to jam lock a stud.  Studs are
right hand threaded into the hub. Put a wrench on the inside jam nut and
unscrew 1/2 turn. Re-tighten the stud using the outer jam nut. Some of the
thread will be upset. Regrind the stud flush to the hub again. Use a product
like Liquid Wrench and repeat each 1/2 turn until stud is removed. The studs
will come out leaving the hub threads undamaged.
On inserting the new studs, I prefer to use Loctite Thread Lock. Triumph
would have used it too if it had been around then.