RE: Slow TR6 overdrive

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Slow TR6 overdrive
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:18:30 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"

FWIW,

On my car the J-type engages in ~1 second after the switch is turned on. It
is almost instant. On a cool day , I don't try to engage it until I've gone
for a few miles to make sure the gear oil is reasonably warmed up (I use the
specified GL4 90wt gear oil). If I do try engaging on a cool day right after
starting I get a delay of maybe 1.5-2 seconds.

I have used a pressure gauge to test my pressure build up and it shoots up
from 20psi to 470psi in less than a second after switching on at which point
the OD engages. During the shift from 3rd to 4th, (J-type only works on 3rd
& 4th by default) the OD circuit is opened but the pressure only drops from
470psi to 450psi before jumping back up to 470psi when the 4th gear switch
re-closes the circuit. So I never feel the OD "re-engaging" when I shift
from 3rd OD to 4th OD.

The disengagement is pretty much instant just like you both reported.

It sounds like your observed behavior is quite different from mine (but then
you might be using a different OD than I am-- like I said, mine is a
J-type).

If you are using an A-type (the other type commonly fitted to TR6s, I think
there is some degree of adjustment in the mechanism. The J-type is more of a
black box -- nothing to adjust or fine tune.

Lastly, my OD has recently new o-rings and pump (within the last three
years).

HTH.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---