Re: Auto Trans Fluid/ dash Pots

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Auto Trans Fluid/ dash Pots
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:31:55 -0500
Listerati -

I'd encourage you to try different oils in your dashpots.  What works best
for you will depend on your driving habits, your car, and the local weather.
I've tried the following in my TR4A's SUs:

1) ATF - didn't like it.  It was OK in the cold weather while the engine
was cold, but once the weather and/or engine was warm, a little too
"edgy."  Engine revs would change too quickly for me, either accelerating
or decelerating.

2) 10W30 engine oil - didn't like it.  Way too slow response when cold, but
seemed OK when hot. Switched back to ATF until the weather warmed up.

3) 10W household oil (the blue can.) Liked it and that's what's in the car
now.  Provided a nice, smooth acceleration and more gradual reduction in
engine revs when decelerating, compared to ATF.  However, I only ran
this oil in warm weather, not in cold.  Besides, it comes in a convenient
little can with a dropper spout, no more messes.

At 01:49 PM 01/30/2000 -0500, Philip Smith wrote:

>I too have Auto Trans Fluid in the Dashpots, I was wondering what the % of
>people  on the list use the Trans fluid also? What are the advantages? I did
>not set up the carbs this way. I like the idea of using Marvel mystery oil
>much better.
>Phil Smith
>TR6
>Getting ready for a Sunday afternoon spin

Cliff Hansen
chansen@access1.net
1966 TR-4A CTC 64615L