RE: Halogen Headlamps for Spitfire

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Halogen Headlamps for Spitfire
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:53:21 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Dave :

If your Spit is anything like my TR3, the first thing to do is add headlight
relays.  Both the headlight switch and dimmer switch in the '3 are marginal
(even when brand new), with the result that there was a full volt drop
through the wiring.  Halogen bulbs don't like running on reduced voltage (it
can reduce their life), so the relays are a good idea there, too.

As other listers have pointed out, you can get the run of the mill sealed
beam DOT approved halogens anywhere, including Pep Boys.  They are
definitely an improvement over regular incandescents, but not a huge
improvement.  There are DOT approved H4 headlights around (like the ones by
Hella, Cibie used to make them too) which are another step up, but tend to
be pretty expensive.

The Euro-spec H4 replacement headlights are a bit tough to find around here,
since they are not legal in California.  (The federal requirement for DOT
approved headlights was dropped quite a few years ago, but California still
insists that non-DOT approved headlights be installed only by the OEM.)  You
may be able to get the local parts store to order them for you.  However,
there is a selection of them available for mail-order from J.C. Whitney,
under the heading "Off-road headlights".  See
http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml?CATID=3221 .  I have a pair of the
cheap ones (currently $17/each) on my TR3, and I've been quite happy with
them.  Of course, Whitney changes suppliers from time to time, so the ones
they are selling now may not be identical to mine.

I've been running "illegal" headlights on all my cars for some 25 years now,
and I've never been stopped or cited for them.  As long as they are
correctly aimed, I don't think you'll have a problem, especially around LA.
But there's always a chance ...

Randall