Re: TR4A Radiator

To: "Rick Burgman" <wrburgman@sbt.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A Radiator
From: Glenn Rattmann <k6na@cts.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:25:11 -0800
At 06:30 AM 01/26/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>My 67 TR4A needs a new radiator.
> would like to keep the car as original as possible.
>Would my best bet be to get the old rad recored?

Rick,
I was going to trash an original 74 radiator after the rad shop gave it
their bath and then pointed out to me it had numerous small pinhole leaks
in the vertical tubes, which can't be repaired when it's that old. They
showed me that the top and bottom tanks were in perfect shape, and
suggested a whole new core, tubes, and fins along with re-use of the two
tanks.  I did this and am very happy with the work.  I have the equivalent
of a new radiator in terms of reliability and efficiency, but still have
the UK tanks with the British Leyland tag.

Cost was about 90% of a new catalog item, but I didn't mind since I kept
the original flavor of the radiator.  So check with your shop and see what
they can do.

Glenn - San Diego
74.5 TR6 X 2