Re: Wire Wheels (care and feeding)

Subject: Re: Wire Wheels (care and feeding)
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:20:44 -0700
Kim and Kelly Alford wrote:

> I've not had experience with a departing wire wheel, but I have with one
> that won't come off.  ...The mechanic told me an important
> maintenance tip:  Every 6 months or so, (even if you don't drive the car
> much), remove each wire wheel, clean both the threaded areas, splines, and
> hub.  (I use a solvent tank to clean the parts.)Then apply a liberal coating
> of new grease to hub and splines....

The 10/4/99 Moss TR250/6 catalog contains a "tech tips" article in re wire wheel
care. Summary:

1. hammer knockoffs w/ the wheel *off* the ground, free to rotate (according to
BMC service bulletin), to reduce force transmitted to spokes.

2. inspect and grease at least once a year, preferably before the rainy season
(apparently written for the UK and Florida :-); use an anti-seize lubricant as
added precaution.

3. use RTV silicone inside the wheel hub on top of the spoke heads - to seal out
water and prevent grease or anti-seize lubricant from being spun out onto your
spokes and wheels.

--

Steven Newell
Crave Technology, Denver, CO