Wire Wheels

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire Wheels
From: "Kim and Kelly Alford" <alfords@seanet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:12:08 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
I've not had experience with a departing wire wheel, but I have with one
that won't come off.  A LBC mechanic in the area explained to me that if the
hubs are on the wrong side, then any slop in the splines will cause the
nut(s) to loosen during braking and acceleration.  My experience has been
just the opposite.  When installed on the correct sides, slop in the splines
cause the nuts to tighten, to the point of having to use a 4 foot long pipe
wrench to remove a nut after a flat tire.  The mechanic told me an important
maintenance tip:  Every 6 months or so, (even if you don't drive the car
much), remove each wire wheel, clean both the threaded areas, splines, and
hub.  (I use a solvent tank to clean the parts.)Then apply a liberal coating
of new grease to hub and splines.  I also use some Permatex anti-seize on
the threads.  When tightening the wheel nut, don't go crazy on the wrench,
just tighten until the wrench won't move any more with both hands pushing.
Not only will your expensive splines last longer, but you can change a tire
by the side of the road if required.

Kelly Alford
71TR6
Shoreline, WA.