TR 3

To: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Subject: TR 3
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:00:04 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Chris,

Congratulations on your find.  Sounds like the previous owner took
liberties with the configuration.  Is it possible that the missing clutch
slave cylinder stay rod is the cause of the shifting problems?

At any rate it sounds like the PO updated the car with disc brakes
and an updated head.  Not bad upgrades form a driving standpoint.

I guess you have to decide whether you want to make the car original
for resale purposes or if you want to just get it running in an enjoyable
form.  If the latter is the case then you will have a much easier time of
it.  I'd keep the disc brakes and the more powerfull engine.  As for the
rest of the parts, you need to find someone who is parting out a TR3
(Brad, are you there?).  For me, I need the occasional seat (for
TS18010) and my glove box doesn't even open (key doesn't fit).  But
I'm not missing near the items you are.  (But I don't have O/D) (Yet)

Once again, congratulations.  Sounds like you have most or all of the
major items and the idems missing aren't show stoppers and you
can acquire them and install them as you go along.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8

Chris DeWet writes:

Wise Ones
Greetings from South Africa

After a 3 year search I finally bought my first TR 3 on 10 January 2000
[
yes , it's running :-) though it's somewhat difficult to put into gear
:-( I suspect a faulty clutch slave cylinder ].It's a RHD model painted BRG
with black soft top , BRG steel hard top , overdrive :-) , occasional rear
seat , wire wheels and disc wheels .

Commission no. TS 10795 . Body no. EB 10648 . There is also a number 843758
stamped on a plate under the body no .( I have no idea what this number
represents. Maybe someone out there can shed some light on this , please )
.
Engine no. TS 30837 E .
Laycock de Normanville Overdrive Unit serial no. 22/1374/022065 .
Gearbox numbers : CT 26228 ( on left side of gearbox ) 304692 SM ( on right
side of gearbox ) 301768 ( on gearbox top cover between gear lever and oil
level dipstick ). Which number should I use ?

>From these numbers I suspect it to be an early( Jan./Feb. ) 1956 drum brake
system TR 3 with a 1958 TR 3 A high port engine . It currently has front
disc brakes but I suspect it should be drums . I'm also not sure about the
gearbox and overdrive unit but I think it's a TR 4 gearbox and TR 3 A
J-Type
overdrive .
Any ideas or comments on this ?

Unfortunately the following items are missing from the vehicle : Center
tonneau rail capping , Glovebox lid stayrod , Boot/trunk lid stayrod +
retainer , Upper + lower grille mouldings , Starting handle guide , Clutch
slave cylinder stayrod , Heater + valve + rheostat switch , Radiator
support
rods , Radiator drain tap , Choke cable assembly + knob , Handbrake sealing
rubber and plates sealing rubber to tunnel and floor ,Hard top rear window
,
Hard top rubbers + fixing brackets + protection plates , Sidescreen sliding
windows , Studs and lugnuts for disc wheels .
The DPO also replaced the oil pressure gauge + temperature gauge ( both not
working ), ammeter , egg-shaped overdrive switch , red ignition and amber
flasher warning lamps with aftermarket items . I didn't realise so many
tings were missing or replaced ( might find some more tonight ). Bad luck .
But at least I have my TR and I'm happy .

Let the fun / search begin . But this is Africa , it may take a long time
find anything TR . So if you could assist , advise , console [or laugh (
hope not )] it would be highly appreciated .

TIA
Chris de Wet