Re: TR6 rear shocks: lever or tube?

To: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 rear shocks: lever or tube?
From: Shawn Loseke <shawn@swo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 00:56:21 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
 If you are satisfied with your lever arms and they are in good shape as
you describe. Then concentrate elsewhere for you cornering needs. In my
opinion. the whole concept of the tube shock conversion was to update
the suspension from an obsolete unit(which is not quite necesarry yet).
The first conversion kits left alot to be desired. The latest ones are
very simple to install. No more time than R&R-ing the lever arm.

 Here is what I've done to my '72 TR6 as an example.

 Apple Hydraulics Heavy Duty Lever Arm shocks (20% stiffer)
 KYB gas shocks up front
 7/8" sway bar with polyurethane mounts (front)
 Polyurethane suspension bushings
 Fast Road coil springs
 195/65R15 Continental CZ91's
 Solid steering rack mounts (huge increase in road feel and steering
input)

 The car sits 1.5" lower than stock. The tires fill the wheel openings
very well (no weird looking gaps). Friends don't even notice the stiff
ride until potholes or railroad tracks are encountered. I don't really
notice even then, but I've been driving the car for almost three years
like this (nearly 15,000 miles in 1999). Cornering is very flat and
neutral (starts to push a bit at really high cornering speeds, but that
is actually my tires beginning to lose traction) Overall, I am very
satisfied with this set up.
 If you do lower the car, you will need to change the trailing arm
mounting brackets to correct your alignment.

 Rear sway bars tend to induce over steer (which is both dangerous and
slow, but looks cool) on these cars so be careful if you go that route.
I haven't found a rear sway bar necessary.

 With the exception of K&N air filters and a Jacob's Electronics/
Pertonix Ignitor Ignition system. My engine is also stock and closing in
on 125,000 miles. It still revs to 5,000 rpm easily and pulls strongly
all the way as well.

 Finally, the best advice I can give you is to build the car to what you
want and tell everyone else to sod off. Enjoy the corners...

Shawn Loseke
Fort Collins CO