Thrust washer: Was: d*mn! can't find 'em anywhere

To: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Thrust washer: Was: d*mn! can't find 'em anywhere
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:59:19 -0500

As an amateur fabricator / mangler of metal, I am of the opinion that the dremel
is an inadequate tool.  If the trans is still assembled I would suggest checking
what the end float currently is and compare to what the tolerance is.  From
memory the thrust washer is a brass plated (on one side) steel disc.  Assuming
that the face of the thrust washer is OK, you could have a machinist remove
stock from the backside of your old thrust washer(s) and machine a thin steel
spacer to fit between the thrust washer and the case.  Alternatively you could
have the thrust washer plated (assuming that the additional cross sectional
material needed is small (less that 0.015 in - speculative)) to build up the
cross sectional thickness.  In a past job we frequently had machined components
plated to build up stock thickness.