Re: Oil pump rebuild vs buying new

To: Paul Schneider <schneidr@mc.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil pump rebuild vs buying new
From: "James A. Ruffner" <jaruffn@ngic.osis.gov>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:29:40 -0500
To all:

Big question on the rebuild is the outer dimensions of the outer rotor.
Clearance between the outer rotor sides ( the cylindrical part) and the body,
and the wear on the bolt-on plate that holds the pump inside.  Usually the body
of the pump experiences no wear, so the cylindrical dimensions should be fine.
However, the bolt-on plate can get some wear. Such wear will permit the rotors
to float along their axes, and will permit oil to sneak around the sides.  This
plate, however, can be refaced, and that will cure that problem.

The biggest problem is the wear between the two rotating parts, which are the
working parts, of the pump, and when you buy the rebuild, you should get new
rotators.  Even if you don't do the reface, you should get excellent results,
unless there is exceptionally high wear on the bolt-on plate.

 Cheers....