parts washer

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: parts washer
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:15:42 -0500

I use a free standing parts washer, China made, same as sold by Harbor Freight,
bought at a local low quality tool house for about $120 (from memory it is sized
as a 20 gal unit).   This parts washer is just large enough to fit a 6 cyl. head
(or engine block, but then the lid would not be closeable). I use paint thinner
as the solvent, I buy the thinner in bulk (I supply the empty 5 gal can) for
$2/gal.  I minimize the quantity of solvent needed by placing several bricks
into the tank below the parts tray - I use about 8 gals of solvent to submerge
the intake port of the circulation pump.   I have used this for about 5 years
and would not do with out it.  Changed cleaning fluid once - I washed too many
dirt covered parts and there was too much sediment in the bottom.   There are
water based solvents available but I have never tried them.  You will also need
to invest in a pair of good rubber gloves - I used the heavy duty RubberMaid
gloves as found at my local hardware store.