Bare metal to Primer Questions - Longish and then some....

To: "'TR-List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bare metal to Primer Questions - Longish and then some....
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 01:45:32 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
First, feel free to respond off list or to provide fodder for discussion
include the list in your response.  I will summarize later on.

It is now time for me to get going on the next phase of the project (Body &
Paint).  Since this is all new to me, I want to make sure my efforts won't
be wasted.

History:
Car was bead blasted about 8-10 years ago and primer was brushed on (inside
and out).  Car was stored in a (leaking) garage with a plastic tarp over it.
When I purchased it (Feb 1998), some of the primer had separated from the
metal and there was a series of surface rust lines all over the car where
the primer had cracked.

All pieces have been removed from the body and the body is separated from
the chassis.  My plan is to work on each piece from start to finish - well,
finish isn't the right word - to initial primer.

Last summer, a friend who has a commercial size blasting setup spent a day
re-beadblasting the entire car.   I have been periodically recoating with
Os-phol or other phosphoric acid products since then to keep the surface
rust undercontrol.  (In hindsight, I should have waited on taking up on my
friend's offer).  The option of dipping the "tub" is still a possibility as
the rust lines did not completely get cleaned up and there were some areas
that still have primer visible.

I have spent some time talking to the local PPG rep and to a couple "Hot
Rod" paint shops.  IF you are thinking about paint & body work, I strongly
suggest that you visit a local "Cruise night" and talk with the car owners.
They each have their opinion about where is a good place to go but if you
talk to a sufficient number there will be a couple shops that receive much
larger number of recommendations.

Their suggestions are as follows:

1.)     Do any body work necessary with metal filler or by brazing any
pin-holes closed (there are a few at the bottom of the doglegs, trailing
edge of front fenders; and leading edge of doors - Nothing Major) - keeping
it at a minimum. If it had been necessary, replacement of sections would be
at this step.
2.)     Re prep the pieces with Metal Ready or something similar
3.)     Within 24 hours apply a thin coat (.5 mil or so) of a self-etching
primer
4.)     Within 24 hours apply an epoxy primer (1+ mil thick)
I figure I will work on each piece over a 1 week period with steps 2, 3 & 4
happening on Friday night, Saturday & Sunday.
5.)     If final finish will not happen within 6 months or so, several
suggested doing the epoxy primer in two layers with a couple days in
between.
6.)     Prior to final primer (whenever that might be) any minor
imperfections can be built up/sanded and the entire surface to be sanded
before the final primer layer.  I believe the suggestion was a urethane
primer at that point.
7.)     Final spray of finish color done in several layers.
Depending on how #s 1-5 go, I may send it to a paint shop for #6 and/or #7.

Questions:
Does this plan seem right to you?   I asked if it was really necessary to do
step #3 as it seemed to be a bit of over-kill.  The consensus was: the extra
$75 (if that) in materials will go a long way on the comfort scale knowing
that the chance of rust will be greatly reduced.

There are several areas that will be difficult to sand and prep (the nooks
and crannies).  What will be the best way to tackle that?

I have a 5hp 25 gallon air compressor which was inherited from my
father-in-law.  What specific equipment will I need to make this all happen?
I know I'll need paint guns, etc - but what kind and how many?  I have some,
but honestly don't know what kind.  I will find out the specifics if
necessary.   Also, I'll be working in a free-standing storage shed/garage or
will be spraying in a makeshift paint booth (plastic sheeting) under a tarp
on one side of the shed.  What safety equipment will I need for fumes, etc.

I think that is enough for the initial inquiry.  I am sure I will have more
questions as I proceed and I will limit those questions to those that
respond.

Thanks in advance.
(BTW, I have made it 20 days in my effort to drive the '58 every day this
century...  True a couple of the trips were around the block, but that is a
minor detail...... )

Carl Musson
Tampa, Florida (USA)
TR3A's - 1958 Driver &
1960 Concours d'wannabe
http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/

"You can't tell which way the car went by just looking at the road..."