RE: Egnine mount nuts

To: "'triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Egnine mount nuts
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:24:17 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
David :

I use the original plain nuts, with fresh lockwashers on my motor mounts.
Never had a problem.  Nylocs would probably be fine, too, but don't forget
you are supposed to replace them every time they are removed.

My fan isn't as big as yours, but it's mounted with just those puny 'tie
wrap' things supplied by Hayden, which seem to work fine.  I've heard good
things about Summit Racing, I'm sure they wouldn't be supplying hardware
that is clearly deficient, even for racing.  If it will do for racing, it's
bound to be strong enough for the street.

22 amps is the correct rating for the stock TR4 generator.  ISTR there was a
Lucas replacement that was rated for 24 amps, but I don't know the numbers.
Your regulator (which regulates current as well as voltage) would have to be
adjusted to get the extra capacity anyway, and a mistake could ruin your
generator.

However, even in So.Cal., your fan should run only briefly (like stopped in
traffic for over a minute, or right after you get off the freeway), so the
generator should have plenty of time to recharge the battery afterwards.
The fan will also rarely run at the same time as the other high current
items (headlights, wipers, heater), so there's a good chance you will be OK
with the stock generator.  (Fuel pumps usually draw very little current,
unless you are using a racing or fuel injection type pump.)

If you do want to do the conversion, there's lots of good information on the
VTR website http://www.vtr.org (follow the 'Maintenance' link).  I put on a
externally regulated Ford unit many years ago, and I've been extremely
pleased with the results.  But, if I were doing it again, I would definitely
go for one of the internally regulated units.  Dan Master's suggestion of
the GM unit sounds good to me.

Don't forget to convert to negative ground first ! (Otherwise, your new
alternator will fry instantly when you hook it up.)

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver