TR6 Door Mirrors

Subject: TR6 Door Mirrors
From: "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 16:06:40 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
    Dear Listers,
    i have purchased side mirrors for my 76 tr6 that mount on the doors. i
purchased a type that mounts with solid bolts that come thru/underneath  the
door panel/skin and screw into the base of the mirror. this seemed to me a
stronger system that the type that use a mounting plate and set screws.  the
mirrors and frame appear to be high quality (chrome over brass).
    my question is this: do the mirrors mount forward enough on the door to
use the front top corner (close to seam between front fender and door)  that
allows access to the backside for the bolts or do i mount them farther back
and try to figure out how to get to the bolt heads to tighten?
    first one with a good answer gets all my old firewall grommets i
replaced this weekend!
Tom Di Iulio
1976 TR6 (up to 4 good scratches on new paint now!)
Denver, Co