74 TR6 - Voltage Drop

To: "INTERNET:GGanoung@aol.com" <GGanoung@aol.com>
Subject: 74 TR6 - Voltage Drop
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 20:07:02 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by INTERNET:GGanoung@aol.com
>I was out driving yesterday PM and noticed that the Voltmeter dropped from

its normal position ~14 V to ~11 V.  Lights didnt dim noticeably but I
didnt
drive for more than 10 minutes after the drop.  I stopped, truned off the
lights to see if it made any difference, no change.
Any ideas?
<

The first thing to do is the easiest.  Wiggle all the connectors on the
back of the alternator.  Also wiggle the brown wires at the tap block on
the battery cable.  Corrosion on these connections can cause the Alternator
to stop charging or inhibit the current getting to the rest of the
electrical system and wiggling the connectors will scrape away the
corrosion to re-establish contact.

If this doesn't fix it its time to get out the voltmeter.
Dave