Rear drums

To: ebk@buffnet.net
Subject: Rear drums
From: Peter Wilson <Peter.Wilson@vsl.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:05:11 +1000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Cosmo/list,

With respect to the various messages on this topic, I have put 240Z drums
on my TR6, and may be able to shed some light.

1) These drums would fit any TR using the TR6 stud pattern and using the 9"
drum . This includes all TR4's, TR4A's and of course TR5/250. All
applications will require opening out the central hole and countersunk
retaining holes (optional). Stud holes would also need to be opened-out for
live axle cars.

2) All 240Z's had finned aluminium drums with a cast-in iron liner. Don't
know about 260Z's and I suspect that rear discs were used by the time of
the 280Z. However, due to their uniqueness and popularity, you may find
that a 240Z has lost its alloy drums and had them replaced by solid iron
items off a lesser Datsun.

3) The iron liner is not replaceable.

4) The 240Z drum has a maximum permissible diameter cast on the inside.
>From memory, this was about 230mm (or 55 thou) over the nominal size. Mine
did not clean up when machined until about 70 thou over. This is not a
safety problem, as the cast iron liner is very thick. What it does mean
however, is that you cannot use standard brake linings. Any reputable brake
shop will be able to bond some thicker linings (to your standard TR shoes)
and then "radius" these to match the new drums. I did this with mine and
they bedded in very quickly and have worked fine ever since for both fast
road and some track work.

5) Good luck finding some healthy 240Z drums. They do tend to corrode onto
the hub and will come off in pieces if a heavy hand is used to remove them!

Regards, Peter Wilson
Adelaide South Australia
1969 (ex US) TR6