240z aluminum brake drums for tr6s

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: 240z aluminum brake drums for tr6s
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 09:01:18 -0500
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Peter Zaborski
>This topic comes up occasionally on the list, namely that the brake drums
from the early 240Z were made partly of aluminum and are a pretty
reasonable
fit on a TR6 <http://www.grmotorsports.com/boneyard.html>. Does anyone know
how to tell if a drum off a junked car is actually aluminum or all cast
iron? I would like to do this at the junk yard so keep in mind I won't have
every tool from the garage with me. Is a magnet adequate? (ie. it clings to
cast iron but not to aluminum, right?).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO
<

Peter,

Aluminum brake drums will be easy to identify.  Aluminum doesn't rust.
(Well, aluminum does oxidize but aluminum oxide isn't red but white.
Anyway, the aluminum drums will have aluminum on the outside where it
disipates the heat generated during braking.  The friction surface is steel
(since the aluminum would wear too fast) but much of the rest is aluminum
and will look greyish-white.

Good luck.  There are not lots of 240Z's in the yards that I have seen.

Dave