Hot engine roughness and backfire

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hot engine roughness and backfire
From: "Glen Sapilewski" <glen@step.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:28:37 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
This summer we acquired a 66 TR4A that has been in the family since 'birth'.
The weekend drives are wonderful and we enjoy working on the car (both
being engineers). As newbies, we have a relatively simple problem ...
    For the first 20-30 minutes after a cold startup the engine runs well.
Once it warms up the engine tends to buck, sputter and backfire on
acceleration and sometimes even at constant speed.  The problem is most
prevalent around 2000-3000 rpm.
    Is this most likely a fuel delivery or ignition system
problem?
   After 4 months of "list-lurking" and brief archive searching, it seems
the
problem could arise from such bizarre things as
  1. "temperature compensator" problems? (noticed info on VTR page)
  2. general tuning issues?
  3. vacuum leaks?
  4. vapor lock
  5. carburator tuning?
  6. exhaust manifold leaks???? ...

I've tried some obvious things, but we could really use some advice
on what order to investigate these potential causes (or others).
   Since we are relatively new to LBC repair, we'll most likely need
to spend some time reading up on given subject, especially if it
involves carburator tuning.

Details:  1966 TR4A IRS w/ ZS carbs.  "rolling restoration" in '91.
'professional' tuneup (and carb. tuneup) a year before our ownership.

Thanks!
   Glen