Flick Wipe

To: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Subject: Flick Wipe
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:05:35 -0500
Cc: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "David Hill"

Hi, All.

Anyone out there seriously clued up on electrics?

In the muck and filth of winter, it would be really nice to have a flick
wipe facility on both my classics (standard Lucas 2-speed wipers).

I vaguely recall from the '70s that this was possible by putting in an
additional feed to the wiper motor,  via a momentary contact switch. The
idea was that the wipers would wipe once when the switch was pressed, then
park again.

Question: can this work and if so, which wire should be energised via the
switch?

Thanks,

Dave Hill

David Hill/Psychomotor
<

Not as simple as all that, I'm afraid.  You will need to get youself a
pushbutton with a form C contact arrangment (SPDT)  This type of contact
has three terminals marked NC(normally closed), NO(normally open) and
C(common).  Then you will need to find the Brown/Green wire and snip it.
The Brown/Green wire to the switch gets connected to the C terminal.  The
Brown/Green wire to the wiper motor gets connected to the NC terminal and
the additional feed gets connected to the NO terminal.

A simple NO pushbutton wired in won't do as the parking switch in the motor
switches the normal 12 volt feed wire (Brown/Green) to earth in the parked
position and tying in another 12 volt feed will creat a short and blow the
fuse.

Sure, there are other ways to do it. This is just the first that came to
mind but no matter how you switch in the 12 volts you will need to break
the original feed temporarily.

Hope this helps.  It's even tougher if you have parking wipers (as some
american cars do).

Dave