re: TRF, Germans caring for British history

Subject: re: TRF, Germans caring for British history
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 15:26:23 -0700
jonmac wrote concerning parts suppliers and TRF:

> Hopefully all is not lost. When BMW Mobile Tradition gets its act into gear
> and starts re-producing critical NLS parts under the British Motor Heritage
> label from the original drawings as is its declared intention, this hiccup may
> only be fairly transitory. One thing that will change however, will be price -
> and it certainly won't be going down. Be prepared to be stuffed. Too many have
> enjoyed unreasonably low prices for too long and it's likely BMW might be
> highly selective in who they choose as parts dealers.

I can't add anything to the supplier dialogue, but Jonmac has this right. I
haven't had a problem getting a part for my '72 BMW 2002 yet -- from several
mail order suppliers, or shipped from BMW in Germany to my dealer in under a
week -- but the parts aren't exactly cheap.* BMW has shown a fairly good
commitment to their "classic" enthusiasts, even releasing on CD-ROM their entire
parts catalog going way back.

Steven

*actually, some of the parts are cheap, or at least, cheap compared to parts for
newer cars.  :-)

--
Steven Newell
Crave Technology, Denver, CO