Re: TR3A Noise in rear-end...FOUND IT!

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: TR3A Noise in rear-end...FOUND IT!
From: radams@ArkansasUSA.com (RANDALL ADAMS)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:07:18 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
I dove in this afternoon to see What the dammage was.  Here is what I found:

1) Rear-end was low on oil due to a leak around the cover gasket.

2) An item in the exact center of the rear-end called a "button" is split in
half.  I dont know when it happened, how it happened or even if it may have
happened before i bought the car.  It's not falling out and it seems to be
doing it's job still....hum...Go Figure!

3) After it was all put back together, I found the noise!  The rear portion
of the drive line was loose.  I knew i should never have opened the
rear-end!!!

NOW I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION..... Is the "Button" a load bearing item that
should be replaced NOW, or can it be driven normally without concern?