TR3 Starter misfires

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Starter misfires
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:32:50 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I've has a problem with my TR3A's starter (long nose) for a while now.
Almost always, the first time I press the starter button, hot or cold, the
starter spins up, but does not engage the ring gear.  When I try again, I
get full engagement and the engine turns over fine.  There is never a
gnashing of the starter gear, it just spins away.  The engine, flywheel and
ring gear have all been changed (with the new engine this spring), so it
must be the starter, but what?

When I installed the new engine, I verified everything on the ring gear and
starter seemed ok.  I cleaned the starter pinion and lubricated it with a
graphite spray in a resin binder; Lubriplate A.  It leaves a dry film; no
goop or wetness to accumulate dirt.  Everything on the starter pinion moved
freely and easily.  I didn't do anything else to the starter when it was out
of the car because it is a good strong starter.

I am at a loss on this one.  It's not a big problem, but it is embarrassing,
and it always make me wonder if it is going to catch on the second try.
Anyone have an idea or a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A