Re: TR6 Timing

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Timing
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:42:11 -0500
Jonathan,

I have just been through the same thing and struggled a bit with it
too.  I can't tell from your diagram what you did, but I'm pretty sure
you don't want to set it to 4 deg ATDC with the vacuum retard
disconnected.  Reconnecting it retards the timing to the 12 deg ATDC
you are getting, and that is way off.  I set mine to 4 deg ATDC with
the vacuum retard connected and then checked the timing with the
vacuum line disconnected.  It was just about 10 deg BTDC as it should
be according to the book.  However, the engine felt a little sluggish
and I ended up taking the advice of some list members who suggested
that the distributor be turned until maximum idle speed is obtained
(with retard unit disconnected) and then retard the timing a bit to
lower rpms by 100.  I ended up with a timing of 1 deg BTDC at idle
with the vacuum line connected.  The car runs nicely now.  Of course
I then made a slight adjustment of the carb mixture so I will be
going back to check timing once again.  It never ends!

Tim Gaines
1980 Spitfire
1974 TR6