Re: question about body number

To: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Subject: Re: question about body number
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:13:05 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>My TR6 has two little metal tags riveted to the right firewall under
>the bonnet, each with a different number.  This would be the body
>number, right?  But why do I have two?  One is the same color as the
>car itself and blends in; the other is bare metal and appears to have
>been added later.

The unpainted tag probably has something like xxxxxCF on it, which is the
body number and would be confirmed on the Heritage Certificate for the car.
The other one is a bit of a mystery, but I have been told variously that it
was used as some sort of production or tracking number for the shell before
it went to the final assembly line. Jon Mac would know better about that
one.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (22 year owner)

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.