Re: Bypass Valves...1970 GT6+

To: Beth and Ken <BethKen@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Bypass Valves...1970 GT6+
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:14:57 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
IMHO they are staying open when they should be closed.  You are getting
more air into the mixture than you should be and that's causing your
high idle RPM.  And you're not getting engine braking because the intake
manifold vacuum (should get up to 22-23 inches Hg and then the bypass
valves open) isn't high enough because the valve is open all the time.
My advice is to pull them off, clean them so that the valves move, check
the gaskets for breaks (that could be the problem too) and replace them
without turning the adjusting screws.  Worth a try.  Some people cut
gaskets to plug them off, but if you can make them work it makes for
cleaner combustion.  Bentley's manual has a method for setting them but
that's best saved for a later post.

Bud
71TR6 CC57365
71TR6 CC65446