RE: Diaphragm clutch

To: "Erik Quackenbush" <erik@midwestfilter.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Diaphragm clutch
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:34:52 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <tigerpb@ids.net>
> At 07:39 AM 8/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >I used the diaphragm clutch from LuK, via Clutchmaster (thanks Joe
> >Alexander).  Great action and feel.  Cost around $130 for the pressure
> >plate, clutch plate and TO bearing.  I had considered re-using the Sachs
> >pressure plate I pulled from my 1988 Saab 9000S (150,000 miles) but the
> >price was low enough their kit made perfect sense.  I'm not sure
> what BPNW
> >gets for their kit, but the LuK kit is sweet also.
> >

> BPNW uses a Sachs pressure plate, a Toyota throw-out bearing, and a
> genuine TR-6 disc.
>
> Erik

Erik,
I knew that from when the Magic clutch was first exposed.  I had a
dependable reference on the LuK clutch set, so I went for the less expensive
option.  There is no magic to making good clutch components.  B&B just
didn't make a set most of us like.  In case you are not aware of LuK, read
on.  They are a biggie in the industry.

BTW - for all those interested in how to contact Clutchmasters, the URL is
as follows:

1. Clutchmaster is at http://www.clutchmasters.com/main.php3.  There is
probably one near you, whevever you are.

2.      For list of my favorite vendors including clutchmasters and LuK, see
http://www.njtriumphs.org/westwood/links.html

BTW - LuK is a major German supplier of these type of components.
following is a snip from their site (see my links above for the URL).

"Lamellen und Kupplungsbau"! That is what LuK is all about. Simply put it
means "building clutches and discs" in German. It is what drives every facet
of LuK's operation from administrative functions to engineering to
manufacturing. This singular purpose is what has made LuK the number one
manufacturer of powertrain components in North America.

They are a player in this industry.

Jack