dead spit-

To: "'List - Team.net Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: dead spit-
From: "Winnie Olmer" <who@sover.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 06:11:53 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Comments: SoVerNet Verification (on garnet.sover.net)WHO from pm0a25.bratt.sover.net [207.136.199.89] 207.136.199.89Sat, 14 Aug 1999 06:15:58 -0400 (EDT)

My '79 spit was running rich as evidenced by the black soot in the tailpipe
and fuel odor. We were on a 45 minute drive each way.. and on the return
trip we almost made it home when the engine started to sputter and slow
down. Smoke was coming out the tailpipe with a heavy fuel odor. This morning
I tried to start it before the tow truck arrived and had the same symptoms
but WITHOUT the fuel odor smoke.

My fear is a blown head gasket. But there is no evidence of water in the
oil as far as looking at the dipstick and in the oil filler cap. I dont seem
have a coolant loss either. If it is an electrical problem then perhaps the
fuel odor smoke when the engine was hot was simply clouds of non-combusted
gas from the hot cylinders that weren't firing.  What about a carb problem?

Since I have only recently begun to work on cars after a 25 year hiatus, I'm
at a loss as to the order I should diagnose my problems or even where to
start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Winnie

Winnie Olmer
CADD Solutions
mailto:who@caddsolutions.windham.vt.us