TR6 proper Inner Axle bearing-to-retainer slop

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 proper Inner Axle bearing-to-retainer slop
From: linda long <lalong@vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 22:04:16 -0500
Listers,
I am replacing the oil seals and bearings on both Inner axle shaft
assemblies on my 76TR6.  Got the local machine shop to press out the inner
axle shafts from the flange (big boom at 18 tonnes of force).  I am now
putting each back together with new bearings and oil seals.  The question I
have is....how snug should the bearing on the inner axle shaft be when
assembled next to the bearing retainer.  Presently, and after my rebuild,
there is ~1/8th inch slop between the two.  I can't recall if it was this
way when I started the disassembly process....but I don't think there was.
When I tighten the nyloc nut all I succeed in doing is to move the bearing,
and the rest of the flange assembly, down the shaft more and the ~1/8th
inch gap continues.  If the slop shouldn't be there, how do I snug
everything up.

TIA

Tom Long
Blacksburg, VA

64TR4
68TR250
76TR6 - gettin' ready for Six-Pack Trials