[TR6] Datsun brake drum mod report

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR6] Datsun brake drum mod report
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 09:06:20 -0400
I wrote a while back asking about what I understand is/was a popular
modification, fitting Datsun 240Z finned aluminum brake drums.

I ended up getting a set at a reasonable cost.  I then *carefully* used a
drum sander to remove about 0.5mm of material from the hub center hole,
stopping frequently to test fit. After just a few minutes, a perfect fit!

... on the right-hand side.

It seems that on my car, the brake backing plate/dust cover on the left
hand side is ever so slightly larger than that on the right hand side, so
the Datsun drum, which has a slot to receive the lip of the backing plate,
doesn't fit on the left.  Looks like I have to machine out the slot a bit.

I do think that it'll be a neat modification whenever I can get the work
done - less rotating mass, better cooling, and sharp looking.

For those of you with brake backing plates that match and are the right
size, this should be a really easy swap.
---
Ted Stevens     stevens@erols.com
74 TR6          Gaithersburg, MD