[no subject]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
From: Anthony Gordon <angordon@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 09:20:58 -0400
Ken,

I am not sure of the purpose of the slot, but I do know that when my w/pump
went on my 72 TR6, it was spewing out water in great quantities from the
same place.

The pump is fixed to a cast housing (the bit that the hoses connect to)
with three studs and nuts.  Replacement is very straightforward, except
that the three studs holding the pump to the housing will want to leave the
housing when you remove the pump.  If that happens, once the pump is off,
thread 2 nuts onto the housing side of the stud and lock them together,
then you will be able to remove the nut from the pump side of the stud
(easier done than explained).

In my case, the pump impellor had parted company with the pump, and had
damaged the thin cast section at the rear of the housing.  I replaced the
pump without repairing the housing and suffered overheating quite quickly.
Once I fixed the housing, everything was normal once more.  If you housing
is damaged, let me know since I have a bodge that has lasted 6 months
without a problem.

Finally, I got my pump expressed from BPNW: the impellor wasn't quite as
well formed as the OE part, but seemed OK (although other listers have
pointed out that this may have added to my overheating problems).  I also
found out later that I could have got the same pump from PepBoys for $35
(rather than $65 I paid)!

Good luck

Tony Gordon
72 TR6