Trouble here in river city

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Trouble here in river city
From: Brian Borgstede <borgstede@umsl.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:25:58 -0500
Well,
I pulled the plugs to see why the 250 had a miss.
I hoped to see the first three plugs to be one color
and the last three to be another.  Not so lucky.
The first five plugs where a nice tan color, the
#6 plug covered in oil.  Well, maybe the plug
fouled and quit firing and built up oil over time.

The compression test...
cold engine dry
90  150  170  140  160 and #6... Zero!

Wet (few squirts of oil in spark plug holes)
92  180  195  170  195 and #6... 7psi.

I figure that #1 has a leaky valve,
I took the valve cover off to check #6 to see if the
valves where closing.  The stems are going up and down
as normal.
My next step is to pump compressed air into the #6 hole
and find it's escape, (water, oil, intake, gasket, or exhaust)

My plan was to drive the car for teh summer and start the
restoration this winter.  I know that the head Has to come off,
and the rings are worn.

Could I be missing something here?
Can I just drive it for the summer?
What kind of leak causes zero to 7psi. compression?

          NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:    borgstede@umsl.edu

Brian Borgstede                 I
Telecommunications Engineer,                 I  '68 Triumph
University of Missouri, St. Louis       I
Instructional Technology Center I          TR-250
Phone:  (314) 516-6433          I       (or 2 or more)
Fax:  (314) 516-5294            I