654A Restoration

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 654A Restoration
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:25:45 EDT
Listers:

I am finally on the upward curve in the restoration of the 65 4A live-axle.
>From here on out there will probably be some questions that arise for no
other reason than I was too stupid - at the beginning at least - to take
pictures and make notes. When I started this about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago, I
"won't forget where it goes." Thankfully, I have a 64 "parts" car right next
to the 65 in the garage and can refer to that but........

Before I get to the simpler questions, I found myself vacantly staring into
the engine compartment of the 64 (CT32703LO) yesterday and - for the first
time - noticed the "O" on the right side of the Commission Plate. Yes, I know
what that means. Now, I'm quite comfortable around and inside engines and
other systems but I have never even touched the outside of a transmission
except possibly by accident while under the car doing something else. Will
this transmission go into my 65 and, without knowing me but I really am sort
of handy and mechanical, can I do it. How big a job, etc.

Now on the the 'smaller' things.
Fuel Pump. I want to keep the AC pump that's in there. (I just love the glass
bowl.) It's out of the car at the moment and I'm about to put it back but -
just holding it in my hand and pushing the lever up and down, I don't feel
any air flow. I also don't feel any resistance. Does this mean the spring is
gone. I'm prepared to take it apart but when last this car ran, there was
never a fuel problem. Should I feel some spring resistance witht the pump off
the car? If so, I'll take it apart but if it ain't broke.......

                                            Jim