Lower fulcrum pin - TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lower fulcrum pin - TR3A
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 20:46:04 -0400
Trouble in River City! Just pulled the driver's side front wheel to take
stock of the front suspension re-bush job as I just bought the TRF kit at
VTR. It appears that the front end of the drivers' side lower fulcrum pin
(you know, the part with the NUT on it!) is GONE! If I look closely at the
spot where the nut is SUPPOSED to be, it appears that the pin itself has
been broken off right at the bracket the nut snugs up against.

Can I buy this part at AutoZone?  8^)

Seriously, anyone have any suggestions? Can this be repaired at home? Aside
from removing the entire front suspension, what's involved here? If not a
DIY job, any idea of the cost to have a real frame shop do the work? I
assume I need to find a shop with the facilities to properly align the new
part before welding. Anyone have any recommendations for a shop in central
Connecticut or Mass? Or should I try this at home? Can I weld (or HAVE
welded) a piece of threaded bolt onto the broken end? Grade 8? Grade 88!?
What?

I'm REALLY depressed now...any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone.

Michael Ferguson
Vernon, CT
1959 TR3A